Skip to main content

In first person



Leila here:
Don't get too excited.  This shot was taken on Wednesday and it's now Saturday evening.  I'm fondly remembering that time and trying to duplicate it in my hospital room.

We thought it might be nice for you all to hear from me directly today.  The only problem is that I'm not sure what to write.

It hasn't been a great day, but far from horrible! I bit my lip while eating lunch which ticked me off, since it's the very mouth tissue I worked so hard to keep icy-cold on Tuesday so it wouldn't get such a negative impact from the chemo. Here's hoping for a quick heal overnight.

The queasies have crept in, but nothing the anti-nausea med isn't taking care of. I exceeded my walking goal today, with Kristin's encouragement.  They have so much stuff sitting in the hallways its hard to walk and find a steady gait - I'm always having to dodge a bed, a computer cart, other people, chairs, tables, etc.

During rounds I remembered to ask "How much sleep is too much?" and was happy to hear that the 12 hours I slept last night was okay. I am understanding that lying down, staying in bed is not the best for me. My personal goal is to be up and at least in a chair or sitting on the side of the bed when I'm not sleeping. Fortunately the room is big enough for a decent chair, a loveseat, and the usual hospital stuff.  

It is nearly impossible for me to stay engaged with the real world.  I'm confined to this unit of 16 beds, this is my home for a couple of weeks. It just is what it is. With this kind of medical intervention its difficult for me to have interest in anything out there.  My days are filled with routine minutia. Today we played cards and a dice game. Tried to read but can't focus or think.  Foggy brain is back.  Poor Kristin had to witness the trouble I had just selecting my meals for tomorrow. Seriously, it's not so easy when you're not sure what's going to turn your stomach. So I just have to guess, and sorry to say, tonight's dinner was a bad guess. The first thing that hit me was the 4:15pm delivery. Dang that's early. Whatever I eat at that time is supposed to last me for 15 hours. Seems a little crazy to me.

I couldn't eat anything I ordered but I was able to have easier fare sent up about 6:30pm, a more reasonable meal time for me - broth, pudding, and cereal. I added extra protein (gelatin) to the broth because I figured that's it until breakfast.  There is some stuff I've been saving in the fridge that I can snack on if I get hungry later, but my appetite is starting to wane.  Even ice cream isn't interesting right now.

I'm not depressed, just tired.  Sometimes I just need a whine a bit.  It helps things pass like gas.  And this is just the beginning.  The anticipation of what is yet to come is wearing on me a bit.  


Kristin here:

The waves of emotion continue to flow. They vary from day to day. They come.  I acknowledge them, give them a bit of attention, then let them go. Holding on to them is where I get into trouble. It's a lot like my tai chi practice.  Letting go is an essential part of the practice in order for the energy to flow.  Listen, attend, notice, but don't hold on. Allow things to open up and change. I'm learning to let go and live in the present moment because that is all I've got.

Letting go of expectations.  Letting go of plans for the future.  Letting go of worry.

When I live in the moment life is much easier.  Of course, it's gotten a heck of a lot easier since I was able to quit work. Thank goodness for government subsidized health care.  It has allowed me time to let go of the hustle bustle of life and settle into a different pace.  A calmer, more subdued pace.  That is what this time in my life requires.  

In looking back over the past nine months it's amazing how much my life has changed.  Yet the most important things remain the same. My focus is clearer.  My connection with the Great Creator is stronger.  My heart calm.  My soul at peace.  My love deeper.

Grateful for the many millions of moments we've been able to share these past few months.  And happy to report we're not sick of each other yet.  Not even a little bit.




Comments

  1. Thank you both for these updates. I appreciate you sharing and feel like part of it in just the smallest way. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you both love and light. Caryn❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, this is the Comment Form Message, whatever that means.

Popular posts from this blog

Super Duper Stem Cell Producer

Super Duper Stem Cell Producer         12-28-22 Apheresis Day 2       2.46 + 6.2 = 8.66 mil Fantabulous! Today got off to a fabulous start!!  Early morning labs looked good. Their focus is on the number of stem cells circulating in Leila's blood stream.  That's what leads to a good collection.  Last night they gave Leila a different growth factor shot to push the stem cells out of her bone marrow and send them running through her blood stream.  Kinda like squeezing a sponge I suppose.   And wowee!!  Those stem cells ran rampant today. Could it be from the ice cream? The minimum circulation goal for today was 20, just like yesterday. Yesterday morning’s calculation was 29. Today it’s 83!!!!!  Yippee!!  She got hooked up to the machine and everything flowed smoothly.  Michelle, the nurse who's been sitting with us every moment the past two days, was encouraging about it being a good day...

Apheresis Day #1

​ Apheresis Day #1 Upon arrival Leila checked into her suite for the day They took 8 vials of blood (good thing she’s got great veins), gave her the growth factor shot, then she was whisked off to radiology for placement of the permanent catheter. Not sure why they call it that since it’s only there temporarily (probably 6 weeks).   Then back up to her room for the day. Once she got hooked up to the apheresis machine, Leila was able to rest and relax.  Since she couldn’t eat anything this morning, because of the anesthesia to place the port, so we packed lots of good food for her to munch on today.  Blood test results indicated her numbers looked great for a very successful harvest of the stem cells. The key calculation number they were looking for was a minimum of 20, Leila scored 29. Yeah!!    You go girl!! The goal is to get 6 million stem cells in the next two days. Enough for 2 transplants. Fingers crossed and good energy flowing . . . This machine is ...

Intention for chemo day 01.03.2023

​ Day -2 Come out, come out, wherever you are.  May the cancer cells in Leila's blood and bone marrow welcome the chemo and receive an invitation to exit this human.